If you’re a tech decision maker charged with choosing video displays or projectors for your organization, good luck to you! The overwhelming array of choices were on display at Digital Signage Expo (DSE 2019).
Consider the LED display category alone. Demand for LED displays is on the rise. It’s cheaper. It provides more flexibility when it comes to placement and design. It has spawned entirely new customer groups that are now candidates to purchase video walls – putting them in places where they wouldn’t have considered a few years ago before LED changed the market.
As a result, there are countless (literally, countless; try to count them!) LED display manufacturers that are looking to capitalize on growing demand. And many of them converged on DSE 2019.
How to Choose the Right LED Display
MyTechDecisions contributor Alan C. Brawn of Brawn Consulting recently offered tips for choosing an LED Display:
- Pay attention to the company’s history, Brawn says. Well-established brands should instill confidence in technology decision makers.
- Do they have a U.S. presence?This isn’t about patriotism, but customer support. “Go to XYZ company and they have no history in the U.S.,” Brawn says, adding that only about one in six direct-view LED manufacturers have U.S presences. That’s a problem, obviously, post purchase and installation when potential issues arise.
- What manufacturing standards exist?In many cases, relatively cheap alternatives are inexpensive for a reason. Brawn suggestions that integrators look closely at direct-view LED manufacturers to ensure that they have mandated quality standards.
- Look at components quality.The old adage that you get what you pay for is even more true in the direct-view LED market, according to Brawn. He warns tech decision makers to make sure their manufacturing partners are using quality parts and components.
- R&D is critical.There is an element among many direct-view LED manufacturers of trying to get in while the getting is good – while demand for these displays is on the rise. In many cases, zero effort is put into R&D. Brawn suggests that tech decision makersdo their due diligence to make sure that their direct-view LED manufacturers are pushing the envelope when it comes to these all-important pieces of their video wall projects and beyond.
How to Choose the Right Projector
Meanwhile, choosing a projector can be just as complicated. Most of Brawn’s LED purchasing tips apply to projectors (or any purchases) as well. There are additional layers to consider when it comes to projectors.
- Should you go with laser projection?
- Where will it be situated and what type of throw-distance do you require?
- How rich does the content resolution need to be? Can you save budget by not going with 4K?
- Is your project mission-critical and, if so, what projector technologies will ensure top performance?
- What type of maintenance is required?
- What are the installation and placement options?
Purchasing projectors opens up a whole new can of worms.
The good news is that also the DSE 2019 show floor was crawling with video displays and projectors, the MyTechDecisions staff did some of the legwork for you. We’ve identified 11 products that stood out on the crowded floor, perhaps making them candidates for your next project.