Keeper Security has released their findings after surveying 500 senior decision makers at SMBs surrounding cyber threats. Their findings suggest many businesses are under-prepared for cyber attacks — and that many SMB decision makers have severe cyber threat misunderstandings.
Here are some cyber threat misunderstandings, according to their findings:
1 – Cybersecurity isn’t a priority
- 60% of respondents say they do not have a cyberattack prevention plan
- less than 10% of businesses rank cybersecurity as a top business priority
- nearly half the CEOs, corporate chairs and owners claimed a cyberattack is not likely
- respondents rank recession (28%), damage to public reputation (19%) and a business model disruption (17%) as the most prominent threats to their businesses
2 – It’s too difficult to begin
- One out of four (25%) surveyed say they don’t even know where to start
3 – “I’m too small to be a target”
- 62% of respondents from companies between $1M and 500M in revenue said they believe experiencing a cyberattack is not likely, while companies under a million are even more likely to believe this (73%)
- Media and entertainment respondents feel the most safe, with only 4% reporting an attack as “very likely” — respondents in financial services, however, say they believe they are most vulnerable to an attack, with nearly half saying an attack is somewhat or very likely
4 – It is someone else’s job!
- 33% of respondents say it is the company leadership’s responsibility to have a plan for cyber threats
- under 10% say that cybersecurity is up to individual employees
- 14% of team leaders say company leadership is responsible, whereas over half say it is the job of a dedicated team
5 – Passwords are still awful
- almost 70% of their survey’s respondents give credence to password strength
- three-quarters of them have some sort of policy which states employees should update passwords regularly
- 13% of company leaders were more likely to not know company password policies
The survey was conducted online. All figures are from YouGov Plc. unless otherwise noted.
If you enjoyed this article and want to receive more valuable industry content like this, click here to sign up for our digital newsletters!