Openpath has published its Social Distancing Index which reveals how different parts of the United States are reacting to COVID-19 and social distancing protocols.
The company’s access control platform has visibility into the entry logs of over 1200 unique organizations spanning the country.
The anonymized data has a wide range of industry segments including commercial real estate, business/enterprise, places of worship, gyms, retail, and manufacturing, giving Openpath insights into how COVID-19 is impacting the country at a granular level.
Openpath measured social distancing through its building entry software beginning the week of February 24th, 2020, when all states were operating at 100%. As of April 6, 2020, building entry stood at 26%.
Here are more insights from the survey:
Building Entry Activity by State
- Michigan saw the biggest decrease in building entries in the third week of March (3/16) compared to the second week (3/9) – an 85% decrease.
- California was the first state to issue a stay-home order on 3/19. But social distancing was being practiced before that—building entry decreased from 84% to 33% between the week of 3/9 and 3/16.
- Massachusetts practiced social distancing early, as building entries decreased by 50% from the week of 3/2 to the week of 3/9, more than any other state.
- In contrast, Nebraska has yet to issue a shelter-in-place order, so data shows no decrease in building entry.
- States that were late to issue a shelter in place continued to see relatively high rates of building entry the week of 3/30:
- Georgia (shelter in place effective: 4/3, building entry week of 3/30: 63%)
Building Entry Activity by Industry
- Across industries, education, gyms, and places of worship have seen the greatest decreases in building entry. By the week of 3/30, building unlocks in these locations were down to:
- Education: 10%
- Gym: 10%
- Places of worship: 16%
- Meanwhile, manufacturing/industrial workplaces and government continue to see relatively high building entry. The week of 3/30, building unlocks in these locations stood at:
- Manufacturing/Industry: 42%
- Government 49%