Adobe unveiled Generative Fill in Photoshop, bringing Adobe Firefly generative AI capabilities directly into design workflows. Firefly is Adobe’s family of creative generative AI models. According to the company, the new Firefly-powered Generative Fill is the world’s first co-pilot in creative and design workflows. It gives users a new way to work by easily adding, extending or removing content from images non-destructively in seconds using simple text prompts.
The company says this beta release of Photoshop is its first Creative Cloud application to integrate Firefly with an exciting roadmap ahead that will transform workflows across Creative Cloud, Document Cloud, Experience Cloud and Adobe Express.
Adobe has a history of AI features, such as Neural Filters in Photoshop, Content Aware Fill in After Effects, Customer AI in Adobe Experience Platform and Liquid Mode in Acrobat — each empower Adobe customers to create, edit, measure, optimize and review billions of pieces of content.
Firefly was launched in April 2023 with an initial focus on the generation of images and text effects. The company notes it has quickly became one of the most successful beta launches in company’s history, with beta users generating over 100 million assets.
Since its launch, Adobe has been expanding Firefly to support vector recoloring and generative fill. According to Adobe, Firefly is the only AI service that generates commercially viable, professional quality content and is designed to be embedded directly into creators’ workflows.
The company notes Firefly’s first model is trained on Adobe Stock images, openly licensed content and other public domain content without copyright restrictions. Enterprises will be able to extend Firefly with their own creative collateral in order to generate content that includes the company’s images, vectors and brand language. The integration of Firefly across Adobe Experience Cloud applications will allow marketing organizations to use Firefly to accelerate their content supply chain production.
Supercharging Creativity and Design
The company says the integration of AI across Photoshop’s core tools enables new creative workflows that supercharge ideation with precise creative control.
Generative Fill automatically matches perspective, lighting and style of images. Users can generate digital content in seconds with the following AI features:
- Firefly: Firefly is designed to generate images that are safe for commercial use and is trained on Adobe Stock’s hundreds of millions of professional-grade, licensed, high-resolution images, helping ensure Firefly won’t generate content based on other peoples’ or brands’ intellectual property (IP).
- Magically leap from idea to image, with simple text prompts: Add, extend or remove content from images to achieve astounding results.
- Edit non-destructively: Create newly generated content in generative layers, enabling you to rapidly iterate through a myriad of creative possibilities and reverse the effects when you want, without impacting your original image.
- Create at a transformative rate: Experiment with off-the-wall ideas, ideate different concepts and produce boundless variations of high-quality content as fast as you can type.
- Available as a web tool: Generative Fill is also available as a new module in the Firefly beta for users interested in testing the new capabilities on the web.
As a trusted partner to individuals and businesses of all sizes, Adobe says, it develops and deploys all AI capabilities with a customer-centric approach and according to its AI Ethics principles to ensure content and data transparency.
Generative Fill supports Content Credentials, serving an essential role in ensuring people know whether a piece of content was created by a human, AI-generated or AI-edited.
Content Credentials are like “nutrition labels” for digital content and remain associated with content wherever it is used, published or stored, enabling proper attribution and helping consumers make informed decisions about digital content.
The technology was developed by the Content Authenticity Initiative, which Adobe founded and recently surpassed 1,000 members.
When will Generative Fill be Availabile?
Photoshop’s Generative Fill feature is available in the desktop beta app today and will be generally available in the second half of 2023. Generative Fill is also available as a module within the Firefly beta app.
If you enjoyed this article and want to receive more valuable industry content like this, click here to sign up for our digital newsletters!
Leave a Reply