Planar and OptiTrack, known for its visualization and 3D tracking systems, announced the launch of the Planar Studios Virtual Production Workshop. Per a statement, this is a week-long, immersive series designed to help AV and IT communities effectively identify, design, deploy and support virtual production (VP) and extended reality (XR) projects. The workshop will thus feature technology sessions covering LED display technology, motion capture, video processing and content engines. They will also cover video cameras, studio lighting and volume integration.
Planar Studios is a cooperative initiative designed to bring together experts, thought leaders and companies dedicated to the advancement of VP and XR. The Planar Studios Virtual Production Workshop reinforces Planar and OptiTrack’s ongoing commitment to helping make VP and XR solutions more accessible and streamlined in mainstream markets, says the company.
“VP and XR is a fast-growing market, and as global leaders with established histories of delivering state-of-the-art display and optical-tracking technologies, Planar and OptiTrack are strongly positioned to lay a framework for the AV and IT communities,” says Stephanie Hines, Planar and OptiTrack EVP. “The potential of VP and XR is widespread, transforming the way companies present content in entertainment, corporate, education and beyond. Planar and OptiTrack are dedicated to helping make this a reality for all.”
Monthly Virtual Production Workshops
Kicking off in August, Planar and OptiTrack will host the workshops at Planar’s headquarters in Hillsboro, Ore. Here, it offer hands-on learning experience in the many critical elements integrated in a VP and XR volume. August workshop attendees will thus get to learn about LED display technology design and motion capture for VP and XR applications from Planar and OptiTrack. Additionally, they will experience trainings from a broad range of organizations. This includes experts from Brompton Technology, Pixera, RED, optic8 and Kino Flo Lighting Systems. Participating organizations will vary from workshop to workshop. However, topic areas will remain consistent, the company says.
According to Planar, the new workshops are being held monthly. They will also feature a special guest sharing real-world experience and key learnings. Registration is currently open for workshops taking place August 21 to 25, as well as periodic sessions in the coming months.
“The pro AV and IT industries are being called upon to deploy VP and XR solutions. This presents new questions and opportunities that are outside of the traditional AV or IT role,” says Adam Schmidt, Planar and OptiTrack EVP. “Our new Planar Studios Virtual Production Workshop is comprehensive. It offers a thorough overview of the many components that go into a successful deployment. We’re honored to help guide the industry with such a diverse and notable group of technology experts.”
Each workshop will thus include the following sessions:
- Evening Welcome Reception: Check out the volume at Planar headquarters while connecting with other VP and XR technology enthusiasts.
- LED Displays: In this AVIXA CTS-approved course, learn how to implement LED into VP and XR. This includes an all-encompassing look at the important qualities, features and specifications. Learn about maximizing use of display technology. These include display options, site preparation, mounting, installation and alignment.
- Video Processing: Explore LED processing functionality and key features such as on-screen image manipulation, color calibration and other workflows.
- Motion Capture: Dive into the essential elements of motion capture and camera-tracking technology that enable accurate, dynamic on-screen content.
- Content Engines: Get an introduction to the media servers and software platforms used for VP, including best practices, tips and tricks.
- Video Cameras: Review digital-cinematography options as camera manufacturers cover everything from shutter and lensing features to color control and more.
- Studio Lighting: Walk through cinema-graphic and studio-lighting concepts and techniques. Also become familiar with using different fixture types for traditional and VP and XR-specific applications.
- Volume Integration: Combine the various technologies that are key in implementing a successful VP and XR volume. Additionally, walk away with real-world knowledge from a special guest.
The Planar Studios Virtual Production Workshop, presented by Planar Academy, offers a broad selection of in-person and online training courses to help AV professionals expand and enhance their knowledge and skills. At the same time, they can earn valuable continuing education credits, the company notes.
To register for the Planar Studios Virtual Production Workshop, visit www.planar.com/VP-Workshop.
Another version of this article originally appeared on our sister-site Commercial Integrator on August 9, 2023. It has since been updated for My TechDecisions’ audience.
If you enjoyed this article and want to receive more valuable industry content like this, click here to sign up for our digital newsletters!