You’re on a team tasked with hiring your company’s or org’s next Scrum Master — what kinds of interview questions will you ask?
Naturally, the answer to this question will vary based on the individual. There are always those same solid conversation-starting, breaking-the-ice questions that we assume you already know to ask.
But what specific Scrum Master interview questions are tried-and-true in the industry?
You should always carefully consider the individual and their work/extracurricular history before formulating a full list of questions to ask. But your prep time is limited and today is the day. What should you ask?
We’ve reached out to our IT, CIO, and other contacts to conglomerate a list of web administrator interview questions and hope you will find some of them useful in your search for the perfect candidate.
Basic Scrum Master interview questions
What are the differences between Agile & traditional project management?
- A good reference point for determining your candidate’s understanding of managing projects
What type of automated testing tools have you used?
- Another building block of a successful Scrum Master is their familiarity with a variety of testing tools
Have you ever managed more than one Scrum team at a time? What was that like?
- Yes, Scrum guidelines recommend only one per team but…
Do you accept project feedback?
- If you’re hiring an Agile, the answer to this question has to be yes!
Describe Scrum as though I’m a senior executive
- Maybe that executive is you!
More in-depth experience questions
Tell me about a positive experience you had at a Daily Stand-Up and what was so good about it?
- Get a sense of how they interact during this typical meeting and what they feel a successful DSU will entail
Tell me about a positive experience you had at a sprint planning meeting and what happened as a result of it?
- Similar to above, only now you’re getting to the heart of their ability to look ahead and turn meetings into positive results
Tell me about a time when employees in Delivery didn’t get along – how have you solved partitions in your team?
- Can they actually lead? Every situation is different, but do they demonstrate a knack for strong leadership?
What sort of projects really interest you?
- It’s about understanding where their personality intersects with your org’s goals
A few more good ones to ask
- When a team member is cherrypicking what they work on, what do you do about it?
- When was the last time a product owner gave additional requirements in the middle of a Sprint?
- How do you tackle boredom at retrospective meetings?