If you haven’t already started planning for ISTE 2015 then it’s time to get started. You can find a program schedule and highlights on the conference website. That’s a great place to start. There are tons of workshops and educational sessions to attend as well as fun after hours activities.
Here’s a list of our five must-attend events. Make sure to RSVP if necessary and save a spot on your conference calendar.
1. Keynote by Soledad O’Brien: ISTE 2015 opens Sunday June 28th with an address by journalist and activist Soledad O’Brien. The keynote will take place from 5:45-7:pm E.T. O’Brien is a former CNN anchor and reporter who now owns Starfish Media Group, a multiplatform media production and distribution company dedicated to uncovering and producing stories that delve into the often-divisive issues of race, class, wealth, poverty and opportunity through personal stories. O’Brien’s background and experience are likely to make this keynote a must-see.
2. EdTekTalks: This event is a series of five mini keynotes by thought leaders in the edtech space. You can think of it as a kind of TED Talk where you’ll hear thought-provoking ideas about K-12 education. The EdTek Talks take place Monday June 29th from 2:30-4:15 pm. You’ll hear from:
- Adam Braun, best-selling author and founder of Pencils of Promise
- Annie Griffiths, photographer for National Geographic, women’s rights activist, writer and artist
- Sergei Lupashin, aerial robotics researcher, inventor
- Amy O’Toole, student and scientist and founder of Lottolab
- Hadi Partovi, entrepreneur, investor and co-founder of Code.org
3. Learning Playgrounds: Throughout the week, ISTE offers a number of learning playgrounds where educators can try out the latest technologies like augmented reality, makerspaces, robotics and more. Check the conference schedule for specific times for each playground session.
4. Expo Hall: ISTE wouldn’t be ISTE without its famous exhibit hall featuring 500 exhibitors and over 4,500 industry representatives. The show floor is open Monday June 29th 9:30 am – 5:30 pm, Tuesday June 30th 9:30 am – 5:30 pm, Wed. July 1st 9:30 am – 2:30 pm.
5. EdTek Karaoke: You need to RSVP for this event, which takes place Monday June 30th. It’s free, but you do need to pre-register to attend. This event is organized by SymbalooEDU and edtech companies. While it’s not technically an ISTE event, it is organized around area edtech conferences and is designed to bring educators from multiple events together for a night of drinks and karaoke. Details here.