TechDecisions spoke with Hannag Grap, VP of Corporate Marketing and Demand Generation at Prysm, about what the company is bringing to InfoComm 2018.
TD: What should visitors look forward to seeing at Prysm’s InfoComm booth this year?
HG: We are excited to publicly debut the Prysm Laser Phosphor Display (LPD) 6K Series, a first-of-its-kind interactive single panel large-format display, offering a panoramic image uninterrupted by seams or bezels, in our InfoComm booth #N1245.
The new displays are targeted at experience/briefing centers, premium conference rooms, and digital signage deployments. Launched this past March, booth visitors will see firsthand how the LPD 6K eliminates the challenges associated with other video wall solutions, including:
- Intruding seams/bezels
- Lack of touch options or collaboration experiences in larger sized video walls
- Poor quality viewing at multiple angles
- Limited options for installation locations due to elevators and small corridors
Additionally, in our booth, we’ll be hosting a series of speaking sessions with our customer, Standard Process, a nutritional supplements provider. The company was one of the first to install the LPD 6K Series and will present on their experience using the solution at the core of its new Media Learning Center on Wednesday, June 6, at 3 p.m. PT and Thursday, June 7, at 11 a.m. PT.
TD: The Prysm LPD 6K Series markets itself as “The world’s largest interactive, single-panel display.” Explain why that matters to end users.
HG: Today’s enterprises are looking to enable a better workplace experience for employees and customers. Video walls are becoming a critical component of the workplace experience equation, but companies have struggled to find and adopt the right solution due to the concessions required from other technologies. With the LPD 6K Series, we set out to change industry perception around the video wall and designed the solution with the needs of the end user front and center. Specifically, the displays:
- Provide an Immersive, Bezel-Free Viewing Experience: Seams and bezels can detract from the overall user experience, making valuable information hard to view on content-rich images like maps or graphs while also diminishing the impact of branding materials, with key elements blocked or distorted. As the LPD 6K is bezel-free, it delivers superior content and viewing capabilities.
- Offer Required Versatility: When implementing a video wall solution, it needs to deliver on several use cases to maximize utilization and ROI. Because of the fill factor, contrast ratio and interactivity, a single video wall solution can be used seamlessly for digital signage, immersive presentations and interactive collaboration – and the wide viewing angle ensures the right content is visible anywhere in the space.
- Empower Better Collaboration: Featuring Prysm’s visual collaboration platform, the displays consolidate applications, content, video conferencing, and the web into a touch-interactive workspace. By enabling users to explore all their data, content, applications and tools on hyper-visual, always-on digital canvases, the Prysm platform ignites innovative thinking, drives business decisions, accelerates productivity and transforms presentations into experiences.
TD: How does the Prysm LPD 6K Series compare to LCD and LED screens?
HG: In comparison to LCD, the biggest differentiators are in the seamless, bezel-free experience, high contrast ratio and wide color gamut. LCDs are limited to <100” and at that size are often difficult to fit into elevators and through small doorways – anything larger requires adding seams or bezels. The LPD 6K series, on the other hand, is designed for the 100”+ market, and its rollable panel makes it optimal for companies that don’t want to introduce bezels. The LPD 6K contrast ratio is currently >1,000,000:1, compared to 5,000:1 for an LCD. The result is deep blacks and immersive, life-like images.
Compared to LED video walls, Prysm’s LPD 6K is a monolithic solution, with touch included, not an added overlay. It runs cool to the touch, making it optimal for collaboration, and uses 20 percent less energy than similarly sized walls.
TD: Many have heard of 4K – what does 6K mean and how does it compare?
HG: 6K takes the current 4K standard up a notch with its superior display and image quality. With a 6K resolution, a high fill factor and an exceptional contrast ratio, images on the LPD 6K are as clear as possible no matter how close or far away one is to the screen.
TD: Does the Prysm LPD 6K Series have interactive capabilities?
HG: Yes! With other video walls, users often have to sacrifice touch capabilities, but not with the LPD 6K. Interactivity is a critical component of what makes the solution so unique. For the first time, we are providing a single panel interactive super large-format display that offers a panoramic image uninterrupted by seams or bezels, with the built-in interactivity of more than 32 simultaneous touchpoints.
In addition to the touch capabilities, the solution also features Prysm’s visual collaboration platform, which consolidates applications, content, video conferencing and the web into a touch-interactive workspace. By enabling users to explore all their data, content, applications and tools on hyper-visual, always-on digital canvases, the Prysm platform ignites innovative thinking, drives business decisions, accelerates productivity and transforms presentations into experiences.
TD: What about energy efficiency and the newly designed light engines?
HG: The light engines in the LPD 6K have been redesigned to deliver a low total cost of operation over the life of a display and to align with corporate sustainability efforts. Adding to this, the LPD 6K Series features:
- Power consumption similar to a coffee maker.
- A cool-to-the-touch screen with low power intake, consuming at least 20 percent less energy than similarly sized LED/LCD video walls.
- 96 percent of the materials in the LPD 6K are recyclable.
Visit Prysm at booth N1245 at InfoComm 2018.